Vacancy – HEALTH, SAFETY AND THE ENVIRONMENT OFFICER
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO BUREAU OF STANDARDS
Position Title: Health, Safety and the Environment Officer
Position Reports to: Executive Director
To provide the necessary planning, training, awareness, orientation, implementation and monitoring of a Health, Safety and Environment Management System (HSEMS) in alignment with the provisions of the Occupational, Safety, Health and Environmental Management Acts as well as appropriate International Standards
- Provide expert health safety and environmental advice throughout the organization, in particular, at Senior Management Level to facilitate and create an appropriate Heath, Safety and Environment culture.
- Maintain health safety and environmental records including accident, incident and near misses statistics, up to date list of Health Safety and Environmental Committee members, First Aiders, First Response Team members, and their designated areas of operation.
- Coordinate along with top management and process owners the development and execution of the Bureau’s HSE risk management strategy inclusive of safe systems of work, risk assessments and implementation of documented risk mitigation measures
- Develops, reviews and co-ordinates details of procedures that have been developed including those for Emergency Response, the issue of Personal Protective Equipment, Occupational Health, Risk Management and Accident Investigation inter alia.
- Oversight of evacuation and emergency plans/responses.
- Oversee, coordinate and process accident, incident and near misses report forms and ensure that investigations are undertaken and action taken to prevent recurrence and where appropriate to formally notify the Occupational Safety and Health Agency.
- Provide technical support to the Bureau in the procurement of services, tools and equipment.
- Ensure effective coordination of the HSE requirements of all TTBS sites.
- Ensure effective coordination (where TTBS has control) of the HSE requirements for outsourced activities and the operation of third party contractors on any site.
- Ensure the provision of all required HSE information, instruction and training as required to support the Bureau’s HSE strategy through its internal communication mechanism.
- Undertake scheduled/unscheduled inspections/audits of all sites where work activity sanctioned by the Bureau takes place to ensure compliance with legislation and conformity to TTBS HSE requirements is achieved and maintained. Records of all inspections/audits should be kept and made available when required.
- Provide technical advice on the operations of the HSE Committee, and liaise with committee members in the execution of approved activities to facilitate implementation of the HSE management system.
- Actively participates as a member of the Management Team of TTBS.
- Assists in the development of the overall strategic and HSE strategy of the TTBS on the specific technical area of competence.
- Assists in the development of an overall Risk Mitigation and Business Continuity strategy for the Metrology Division in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Responsible for analyzing and managing expenditure within approved budgetary guidelines
- Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of the Quality Management System and Infrastructure of the HSE Department.
- In consultation with the Strategic Human Resources and Development Division, provide leadership in manpower planning, succession planning and the establishment of competency and training and development programmes for Divisional staff
- Responsible for rewarding, recognizing and disciplining employees in the Division in keeping with Company Policies and the Collective Agreement.
- Represents the TTBS at the national, regional and international levels.
NEBOSH National Diploma in OH&S or similar type certification. First Degree in Health and Safety, or Health Safety and Environment or Natural science augmented by professional OH&S certification
At least five years’ experience in a similar position. At least three years minimum experience in a quality management environment. Experience in quality infrastructure environment would be an asset.
- Ability to liaise with regional and international bodies involved in the development of Standards and associated specifications
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with government officials, the business community, regional and international associates, and members of the public.
- Sound knowledge of the Occupational Safety and Health Act and other relevant legislation
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Problem-solving and conflict management skills
- Strong organizational skills.
- Project Management skills
Deadline for Application: 22 November, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards,
1-2 Century Drive,
Trincity Industrial Estate, Macoya,
Trinidad and Tobago W.I,
Tel: (868) 662-8827, Fax: (868) 663-4335
- Office of the TTBS Secretary (Main Ext: 2003)
- Certification Division (Main Ext: 2221)
- Implementation Division (Main Ext: 2417 / 2418 / 2419 / 2420 / 2421)
- Laboratory Accreditation (Main Ext: 2248)
- Laboratory Services Division (Main Ext: 2361)
- Metrology Division (Main Ext: 2307)
- Legal Metrology Inspectorate (Ext 2348)
- Standardization Division (Main Ext: 2041 / 2042)
- Standards Information Centre (Main Ext: 2033)
- Human Resource Unit (Main Ext: 2021)
- Operator (Main Ext: 0)
- Marketing Unit (Main Ext: 2261)