This standard establishes the sampling, testing and maximum permissible limits (MPL) for key parameters related to wastewater reuse in the following classes pertaining to agriculture and landscape irrigation:
- Class A –
- Irrigation of crops to be eaten uncooked;
- Landscape irrigation of all public green areas including but not limited to gardens, sport fields, golf courses and parks without access limitation; and
- Washing of enclosures for animals.
NOTE The irrigation of crops refers to the application of treated wastewater prior to harvest.
- Class B – Irrigation of cereal crops, industrial crops, fodder crops, pasture, trees and crops to be eaten cooked only.
NOTE: Rice is a cereal crop and sugarcane is an industrial crop.
- Class C –
- Localized irrigation of areas without public access; and
- Crops in Class B if exposure of workers does not occur.
NOTE 1 Fodder crops and pasture are not included in Class C.
NOTE 2 Areas without public access include forest and areas of vegetative recuperation.
The standard does not provide the permissible limits for wastewater reuse for industrial or construction applications; cleaning roads or buildings; potable water or any other form of reuse not specified in this standard.